In December I posted a list of goals for 2014. I encourage all people, both active and less active, to have list of goals for things they want to do. We are now in the eighth month of 2014, and I thought I should revisit that list.
1. “My first backpacking trip. It would be an overnight, probably in Pine Creek Gorge on the Mid State Trail. My friend Jacob is an experienced backpacker and he will lead the trip. Time, probably May.” – In fact it was June, and I completed two of them, on the Appalachian Trail and the Loyalsock Link Trail. I may as yet complete a third. Done!
2. “Hike Pulpit Rock and, if possible, the Pinnacle. Both are part of the same trail north of Reading. The Pinnacle is alleged to be the best view in PA.” – still possible this year.
3. “Hike Gillespie Point, the Matterhorn of Pennsylvania.” – still possible this year.
4. “Get back to goal weight of 250 pounds.” – I can, and will, work at getting my weight down, but it seems unlikely I will be down to 250 by year’s end. 2015 definitely.
5. “Get my bike fitted so I don’t have hand numbness. One reason I ride so infrequently is that I have to stop so frequently. I want to be unstoppable, if not literally at least figuratively.” – Not done, because I’ve had no interest in riding. How much of the no interest in riding has to do with my fit problems I don’t know. I’ve been too busy with other things to spend time thinking about it.
6. “Hike the “waterfall wonderland” of State Game Lands 13. While Rickett’s Glen State Park is famous for its waterfalls, the nearby SGL 13 has a lot of them too. But they take work to get to as there’s no blazed trail. My friend Ray offered to lead me there sometime this spring. I should hike Ricketts Glen too.” – Done and done. I want to go back to hike more of them, but still…. done and done.
7. “Do an urban hike, the High Line in New York City.” – still possible this year. It’s only a bus ride away.
8. “Canoe SOMEWHERE. I miss being on the water.” – Done, at the Allegheny Reservoir. I want to do it again.
9. “Do an overnight, or longer, bike tour. I’ve not toured since 2011 and I’ve not been on the road more than one night since 2010. Again, this depends on getting my bike in order.” – again I’ve not had a desire to ride, so I haven’t followed through on this.
10. “Spend some time in Western PA, Ohio, and West Virginia hiking and riding. Ohio has a rock formation named Fat Man’s Peril. How can I pass that up?” – Ohio didn’t make the list this time, but Western PA, AKA Westsylvania, saw a lot of me in June. And I was to Harpers Ferry. Done!
11. “Revisit many of the places I’ve been before – Pole Steeple, Pine Creek Gorge, the Catskills, etc – and have a great time.” – Aside from the Catskills, Done! and Doing!
Of course the fact some items are not done doesn’t mean I’ve been idle. From chasing the snow goose to hiking at a murder scene I’ve been active and outside. As I trust all of you are. It was fun to revisit this list, and I’ll recap it again at year end when I post about plans for 2015.